Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Tis the Pumpkin Season!!

This is the time of year where I'm really looking forward to all the good  things that can be made with pumpkin.  I could make Mom's pumpkin bread, pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, impossible pumpkin pie cupcakes(recipe found on theBaking Bites Blog), hope that link worked, or I could make my favorite-- pumpkin pie!  Since the scuttlebut that I'm hearing is that canned pumpkin is hard to find, due to a poor growing season last year, I could make my own pumpkin puree from scratch.  I've done that before.  I remember one year, when I was much younger,  my hubbie and his friend went to pick up a few pumpkins for my friend and I at a farm stand, just so we had the experience of making  fresh puree. Since they drove his friend's pick-up they were sure they could fit a few pumpkins in for us. They were right!  They loaded the bed of the truck with hundreds of pounds of pumpkins!!!!  My friend took what she wanted(not nearly enough!)and our family got busy pureeing, carving, cooking and baking.  Good thing I was young.  That was a tiresome "adventure".  I'm so glad using canned is faster and just as good if not tastier.  If only the preparation could be this quick...from pumpkin to finished pie!  Watch my Swedish Chef in action!


5 comments:

Leslie said...

the kids and i really enjoyed the swedish chef!!!

Colleen said...

The girls and I were just watching that swedish chef clip recently! We don't have any pumpkins yet, maybe in a couple of weeks.

Colleen said...

It sure does look like fall, but do you mean to tell me that you didn't do this on purpose?

Elizabeth said...

I did it - mom just didn't know it at the time lol....

Oh wow mom you just made me very hungry for everything pumpkin... i had some pumpkin spice tea this morning but i don't think that's going to cut it now.... You forgot pumpkin crumble *dies* i love pumpkin

Julia said...

funny we recently watched that video! i think it is funny that he has all that in his kitchen. :)